Be smart. Make your games Linux compatible "out of the box." Think about it: there ARE Linux users out there who like playing games (me). There are VERY few games out there that support Linux. The emulation software kind of sucks right now. Wine is free and basically terrible for games. It took me two weeks to get Half Life 2 "working" and even then it was completely unplayable. Cedega appears to be better, but you have to pay for it every month! What the hell is that? Oh, and also, it doesn't work for me at all. What popular game aside from Unreal Tournament 2004 has been released in the last 2 or 3 years that supports Linux? Oh yeah I guess Doom 3 too but that's because id Software is pretty awesome about having all their games playable in Linux. If a developer was smart, they would release a game that would work on Linux, because no one else is doing it. Linux users would pay to buy this game, just as I paid to buy Unreal Tournament 2004 years after it was released, just to have something to play when I'm in Linux.
I just read that Savage 2 is going to have native support for Linux, here. I'm willing to bet that Linux gamers will pick it up just because it actually works on their chosen OS! I think I will too.
An older, slightly deprecated blog. "Blog." What an uncomfortable word.
Wednesday, March 15, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
what do you think will have to happen for developers to start creating games for linux as well? it seems like theres no money for them in linux game development when the pc game market is so much larger.
http://icculus.org/lgfaq/
nwn was ported apparently. that linux mmo sounds intriguing as well.
good luck.
-pm.
Linux only has, what 3% market share on the home desktop? It just doesn't make sense for them to spend the extra money to satisfy a relatively small group of people. As awesome as it would be to have The Godfather game for *NIX, it won't happen anytime real soon :[
Yeah I commented on your blog what's up!!!
Post a Comment