An older, slightly deprecated blog. "Blog." What an uncomfortable word.

Monday, May 09, 2005

Over-Sentimentality: The Battle Against Mush

I abhor mushy shit. Maybe I just don't like romance; I hate seeing a movie and there being a bunch of needlessly mushy shit in there. Often times it makes me cringe. That is not the way I choose to live my life. I don't believe that people are that way by nature...not most of us anyway. I worry that people see movies with this kind of stuff in them, and then they emulate it in real life, which is pretty bad. You've been around it, you know how it is. I believe romance in a movie can be done without all of this nonsense. I believe one can create a great movie that does not end with someone getting what they always wanted in a significant other. I have seen such films! Such films though, are few and far between, because Hollywood at large believes that these mushy scenes in films are more palatable for the average movie-goer. Is this true? I hope not. I fear it might be.

No comments: