I was driving to the grocery store to pick up a few last-minute things for Thanksgiving, and I started thinking about the future, and Google's place in it. I thought of the possibility that our age could have a new Christ-figure: this very company. I imagined a world where the resentment that people are beginning to harbor for Google grew bigger, and it was hated, and denounced. In this world people would hate Google simply because they were something that in their minds could not exist: a benevolent corporation. In the end, Google would end up having its servers and power over the internet, or internet usability tools, however you want to look at it, stripped away. People would forever remember what Google tried to do: make the internet a better place, where information was easier to access for everyone.
I don't really believe that Google is this way, necessarily, but I do like them and their services. This is just something that I thought about, absent-mindedly, while driving to the grocery store.
An older, slightly deprecated blog. "Blog." What an uncomfortable word.
Wednesday, November 23, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment