An older, slightly deprecated blog. "Blog." What an uncomfortable word.

Monday, January 30, 2006

"Big Momma's House 2" Sells 28 Million; Or, Why My Faith In American Moviegoers Is Rapidly Declining

"Big Momma's House 2" sold 28 million dollars worth of tickets at the box offices this weekend, making it the second-highest grossing January film opener ever. This surprises me. It makes me wary of the future of Hollywood, and I question whether or not I as a consumer will have a place in the current / future film industry. I feel that there are way too many sequels in production in Hollywood and very few original ideas make it to production. It seems like most movies, even movies that were not so good, are getting sequels in the last few years. Also, classic and not-so-classic movies are being remade at a dizzying pace. Sequels and remakes do not equal innovation, and often lack depth. Why does this keep happening? Because the American public spent 28 million on "Big Momma's House 2" in a single fucking weekend, that's why. Some movie theaters here charge more than 10 dollars per ticket to see the film, and I'm sure that's relatively cheap compared to other places in the country. I'm not the kind of person who wants to spend that kind of money so that I may gain the priviledge of watching roughly two hours of some characters I've seen a few years ago doing the same kind of shit, but without the pep of the original. They wouldn't make these shitty movies if people didn't go to see them. These major film production companies are in it for the money, the business end of your entertainment experience. They could care less about the quality, it's just what sells. So if we communicate that we want to see something different on the silver screen by not spending our money on stuff we saw a few years ago, they'll listen. Big Momma's House 2 didn't come out because the people demanded a sequel and Martin Lawrence was only too happy to hop back into an uncomfortable body suit; it came out because the first one did well, and they wanted to see if they could sell it back to us again, with a few new sight gags and not much else.

No comments: