An older, slightly deprecated blog. "Blog." What an uncomfortable word.

Friday, January 27, 2006

Excerpt From A Novel.

I'm reading Stephen King's The Stand (1978) right now and it's pretty good. It's been a relatively long time since I've read a King novel (about 10 months I think). Here is a part that I just read that I found interesting. A character is explaining the possible re-emergence of society in the aftermath of a "superflu" which has, apparently, wiped out most of the human race.

Shall I tell you what sociology teaches us about the human race? I'll give it to you in a nutshell. Show me a man or woman alove and I'll show you a saint. Give me two and they'll fall in love. Give me three and they'll invent that charming thing we call "society." Give me four and they'll build a pyramid. Give me five and they'll make one an outcast. Give me six and they'll re-invent prejudice. Give me seven and in seven years they'll re-invent warface. Man may have been made in the image of God, but human society was made in the image of His opposite number, and is always trying to get back home.

No comments: