An older, slightly deprecated blog. "Blog." What an uncomfortable word.

Monday, February 20, 2006

The Mountain Goats. Attempts to find a topic I can educate a class on.

John Darnielle is an extremely cool guy. He came to Philadelphia last year as The Mountain Goats. I missed this show and this makes me sad. I've been listening to The Mountain Goats pretty much non-stop lately. The Mountain Goats are awesome if you read books and / or like acoustic guitars. If you do both, you'll probably enjoy the music that much more. Wikipedia entry to get you started. I'd write more on it, but I'm pretty depressed right now and I have a lot to do in preparation for a speech I have to have outlined by tomorrow.

I have no idea what the speech will be about.

You see, I was prepared for this speech. It's an informative speech, the first graded project in my public speaking class. I was going to do it on the recent issue of Google and censorship in China with the debut of their China-based server that hosts google.cn. I did a lot of research about this topic on Sunday, and learned a fair amount about China's history and human rights in the People's Republic of China. Chinese history / politics are pretty cool. My interest in these topics is piqued. Anyway, today I decided against this topic because I thought it'd end up being a snorefest, and the professor wouldn't like it. So, I thought I'd do my speech on the avian flu which might kill a lot of people. After doing a little bit of research, this is even less likely to work out than the Google speech. What I need is something that has a local scope or that will relate directly to the people in my class. Sadly, none of them are tech-heads so all the stuff that I think about most of my days wouldn't interest them. I know a lot of things. I just need to find one or two that I'd be able to expound upon for about five minutes in front of a group of people without boring them to death.

No comments: