I had a dream last night that I had to go to high school to take classes on the grounds that I didn't finish my education there. I was actually going back to school with a few people, Useff included. I don't remember the other people, but they attended were friends who went to high school with me in reality as well. I walked into this Economics class, and sat next to a girl. We were all escorted by a principal, like we were new special education kids or something. It was really weird, as my high school never had a special education program. Anyway, so I sit down next to this girl and start to say something, you know, make a little quirky joke. So I start to say it to her, and she bellows at me "Can you shut the HELL up and listen to the lecture?" and I am so shocked and caught off guard that I say back to her "God what the fuck is your problem." Trouble brews, because the principal is still there, and being that we're special education students or something, this sort of thing was expected to happen. I immediately scream, saying "If you want me to apologize I'm DROPPING THIS CLASS!" The principal then asks me if I'll go outside and talk to him, and we go to the hallway and he's kind of coddling me, and telling me to be on good behavior. Then I go back inside and sit next to the same girl and she gives me this big shit-eating grin and says something to the effect of "now isn't this better?" and I just give her a shit-eating grin right back, only mine is far less genuine and if I remember correctly I'm about 5 seconds away from dropping the class anyway. That's when it ended.
Stick that in your dream analysis machine.
Actually, let me do it for you. I think the dream is about me feeling like I didn't get properly educated in high school, and that I wasted those years academically. Not that I didn't do sufficiently well in those recent times, but I guess I feel like I should have done better; like if I learned more while I was there I could have been one of the kids who went to Harvard, or Yale, or Princeton; not that I'd like to be one of them at this point, or ever. I'm happy with where I am, and what friends I have kept and just as importantly what friends I have made by being at the University of Delaware. What I mean, is that I could have been like those kids were while they were in high school with me. I was always kind of part of that crowd any way. I simply didn't devote as much of my time to independent study as they did. The dream is about me going back and picking up what information I may have neglected to absorb on my first pass through the upper levels of our public education system.
An older, slightly deprecated blog. "Blog." What an uncomfortable word.
Sunday, March 06, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment