An older, slightly deprecated blog. "Blog." What an uncomfortable word.

Sunday, April 24, 2005

I watched two movies today

In the morning, I saw Training Day, and finished it around 10. In the evening, I saw i heart huckabees, and finished it around 10.

Training Day was brutal, that was pretty much the feeling I got from the movie. This world is a brutal place with a lot of "wolves" in it. I'm very glad I watched it. Denzel Washington played an awesome character. A lot of blacks were upset that he was nominated and received an Academy Award for playing a villainous character. They say, "Denzel Washington has been in so many other amazing roles, why did he have to win for being a bad guy?" I say they need to look past that and see that this was one of the best roles anyone has ever played in a film, in my opinion. Alonzo Harris was just such a great character, and I think the award going to him had very little to do with him being black. Perhaps I am being overly optimistic though.

i heart huckabees was pretty good. I mean, it wasn't great, but it had memorable things about it. It is basically about existentialism vs. nihilism, and the whole movie is done in a kind of slapstick humor fashion. There are pretty well defined agents of existentialism and nihilism who are trying to win the different characters in the movie over and guide them along their paths. One thing I found interesting was that most of the scenes with the existentialists were EXTREMELY chaotic, while the main agent of nihilism appears in scenes that are more serene, with fewer people trying to talk over each other and less wacky stuff going on. Anyhow, if you've seen the movie you may want to explore it a little bit more and see how my observation makes you feel about it. There are definitely some messages in there far beneath what can be gathered from the film and screenplay.

No comments: