An older, slightly deprecated blog. "Blog." What an uncomfortable word.

Sunday, February 13, 2005

Dreams and Sleeping

It occurred to me that people would be a lot more reluctant to sleep if dreaming wasn't as good as reality. When reality is really good or has the potential to be really good, sleep isn't that interesting. Also, when you are afraid of sleeping (rare, but possible because of recurring nightmares), consciousness seems a lot more desirable. Do not ask me to explain insomnia, because I have no real clue how that works. However, sleep kicks ass because it isn't reality and a dream is often a good thing. Sleep is an escape from a bland reality, a place where anything can happen. Who cares that it's all inside our heads? Had we never experienced consciousness at all, we would never know that it's all inside our heads, or even that we have heads in the real sense. The dream would be our reality.

Anyway, sleep is awesome. Like a bonus round. If I had more things in my life that were immediately interesting and seemed worth being conscious for, I would spend less time sleeping, I imagine. The body allows us to dream and keeps dreams awesome because sleep is totally important. It is a cookie manufactured by our body to coerce us into giving it what it needs.

No comments: