An older, slightly deprecated blog. "Blog." What an uncomfortable word.

Thursday, February 24, 2005

On Internet Conversations and Lethargy

Amendment to this gripe: This is more catered toward statements being made and questions being asked on internet forums, and does not apply directly to instant messaging, as IMs are more like speaking in person, and when we speak to one another in real life, we usually do not use complete sentences in this culture / language. That's all.

First, I'd like to say a few things about the Internet, people who use the internet, and conversations that people have on the internet. It is no secret that I spend a lot of time reading things online and frequent a few internet forums / communities. I have a few problems with people who use the internet across all mediums, be they forums, chat rooms, instant messages, games, or otherwise. The largest and perhaps most easily remedied problem is punctuation. I think some punctuation is better than no punctuation at all, to begin with. If you are making a paragraph without any kind of punctuation, no one will want to read that junk. It reeks of ignorance. If you have punctuation, but you over-punctuation, that is also bad. I really do cringe when I see people ask a question with multiple question marks. When I'm searching a support forum for a question I can't answer myself, it really bothers me to see someone put a fuckton of question marks after they ask their question, as if that will make their question seem that much more urgent or like that much more of a question. Like the aforementioned lack of punctuation, this brings the writer's intelligence into question and somehow conveys to the reader an incomplete mastery of written english. It doesn't matter how good an idea you have, or how smart you are in real life; if you're asking questions on the internet with a shitload of question marks, or writing out something amazing and not using punctuation, your point is instantly invalidated because you aren't presenting it with correct formatting. I think a good comparison is, f someone was giving a eulogy in a sing-songy voice, would you take that shit seriously? If someone let the words of a powerful speech dribble out of their lips in mumbles and whispers, would it have the same impact?

Or perhaps I should ask: if someon let the words of a powerful speech dribbal out of there lips in mumbels and wispers would it have the same impact?????????????????????


Second, I feel like a zombie. I am unable to move or do anything. I don't know what took all my energy, but I want it back.

No comments: